We are 61 days into our curriculum: My Father's World Kindergarten, & loving it! Sooo fun! I did find myself getting lazy for a piece of it & the boys were getting crazy annoying (sorry, it's true!) as a result. I recently read a great kick-in-the-pants post & it reminded me I'm slacking. So. No more of that.
Anyway, the curriculum calls for doing a subject for 6 days. My brain can't handle it (end 1 & start another in the middle of the week?? What??) so we do Mon- Fri & call it good :) We also don't follow the book in order (surprised??); this week the monarchs are in town so we scheduled a field trip & skipped to the butterfly chapter :)
S2 absolutely loves to paint. So this week we tried a new thing: painting with balloons :) Butterflies begin as caterpillars so we ballooned them- the boys looked at me funny when I showed them what to do but soon discovered it was super fun...
So fun, in fact, that we had to get a new paper & freely create :) Then I shooed them outside and they played with their balloons till they popped- it really was a win win ;)
So at the field trip, the boys might not have fully learned anything, but! they did get to look through telescopes for the first time & see the butterflies up close- so they were pretty excited about that :)
But they were REALLY excited to venture onto the sand dunes & climb tree limbs & run on the sand- I tell ya, they smile the biggest when exploring God's creation (specifically climbing trees!) :)
On the way back to the van, the sun was getting warmer & the butterflies were becoming more active & I was finally able to catch a few on camera
Here's a bigger picture so you can see them covering the trees. So beautiful.
We also glitter glued coffee filters into colorful butterflies, read Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar & did a few projects off of which I {somehow} forgot to take pics...
And every week we youtube how to draw something and make a poster of that week's subject/theme/spanish word. Yes, that is my lovely shadow showing. I already put it on the wall & there was really no other way of showing you my guys' artwork. They are always so uniquely different :)
We also tied in Apostle Paul- he started out mean & vengeful (caterpillar), but was struck blind (crysallis), & then became an amazing soul & worker for Jesus (butterfly). Unfortunately, we didn't do any activities per se, just read about him & chatted. One of these weeks I'll have my ducks in a row :)


No comments:
Post a Comment